How Muting My Notifications Improved My Life

How Muting My Notifications Improved My Life

Are you one of those people whose phone goes off a million times a day with *insert social media app here* notifications of things you don’t really care about?

Is Runkeeper telling you that Dan just ran 10 miles reminding you that you haven’t actually been to the gym in weeks? Is Candy Crush saying it misses you so that you feel bad and spend your afternoon playing that instead of writing that uni assignment?

About 3 months ago I decided I was only going to ‘mindfully’ log into my phone apps. And it has made such a difference to my life.

Here are the simple steps I took:

1. Decide what you actually do want notifications for.
  2. Turn off everything else.
img_2497

No thanks Timehop, I don’t need reminding of that horrific 2008 fringe.

How is this going to help me?

1. Firstly, it’s a great opportunity to clear your apps. I had loads on there that I just don’t use so when I went through to turn my notifications off I was able to read rid of all the ones that were taking up precious Spotify space.
  2. It’s much nicer to be able to look at your apps on your terms. If you’re busy you won’t have that notification nagging you that your mum shared an embarrassing link to your Facebook.
  3. I used to be a big FOMO girl and I was worried I would miss something if I wasn’t attached to my phone or constantly scrolling through my whatsapp notifications but now I’m much more chill. I can check out my social media on my breaks and be much more productive in the meantime.

Maybe you already do this but for me, muting phone notifications has been a godsend. Going on my phone to look through notifications no longer feels like a chore. And what’s more, I’m finally not worried about missing out on anything. I’ll live my social media life on my own terms!

Rachel x-x-x

10 Comments

1. September 20, 2016 / 8:17 am

So true! I have deleted my fb app recently and just use the web version if I do wanna browse … switching off notifications for WhatsApp has helped too as I don’t feel obliged to check it each time ….

• rach
      September 20, 2016 / 8:20 am

It makes such a difference! 🙂

2. Sabah
    September 20, 2016 / 1:27 pm

You’re right it makes a difference. I recently switched off my notifications for WhatsApp. I also log out of Twitter and Instagram apps when I’m done being social for the day.

Thanks for sharing!

Sabah || http://www.womanishaffairs.org

3. September 20, 2016 / 2:27 pm

This is something I have recently started doing, and I’m so glad my phone isn’t constantly going off with pointless notifications all the time.

4. September 20, 2016 / 6:03 pm

Love this idea. I don’t turn off my notifications but I do put my phone on ‘do not disturb’ for most of the day. Doesn’t stop me using it constantly but it’s a start haha!

• rach
      September 20, 2016 / 7:35 pm

That’s a good idea! I’m still a bit scared of missing things if I have do not disturb on though! Haha!

5. September 20, 2016 / 7:53 pm

I should definitely do this! Even for things like Instagram I don’t really need to see my notifications until I want to so I might just take the plunge and do it for everything!
    Amy xx

6. September 21, 2016 / 9:13 pm

Hi I’ve just found your blog and its beautiful!! I love this post as well, I really would like to try and start doing this!

Ive recently set a blog up and would love it if you could check it out!!

Thanks and happy blogging!! x x

coffeeandcoatsblog.wordpress.com

7. September 24, 2016 / 7:22 pm

I literally did this after reading the Blurt Foundation Self Care guide last night. I can’t wait to see what the long term effects are like. I also unfollowed loads of people on Facebook which has cleaned up my feed beautifully. Highly recommend 🙂

• rach
      September 24, 2016 / 9:10 pm

I haven’t read the Blurt Foundation Self Care guide but I will have a look! Definitely need to do the unfollowing thing too!