How To Digitally Declutter Your Life

How To Digitally Declutter Your Life

First things first, digitally decluttering feels good. I can promise you that you will feel like you actually have some control over your life after this and you can kid yourself that you’re a functioning adult. Wouldn’t that be nice?

This is a basic 4-step approach to becoming a digital declutterer. There are way more things you can do to really minimise your digital space but these 4 will get you started!

how-to-digitally-declutter-your-life-2

Back Up Your Files Weekly

Have you ever lost a really important file on your laptop? Or maybe you’ve just left something in your downloads, and forgot to check it before you emptied the trash. You don’t have to live in fear any longer because you’re going to start backing up your files.

Most people reading this probably already have an external hard drive but if you don’t then I recommend getting a 1TB hard drive which will set you back about £50 but is really worth it!

I’ve had a hard drive for ages and I used to back up every few months or whenever my boyfriend nagged me about how bad I was for not backing it up. But now I back up weekly. Sunday is my back up day and it’s wedged firmly in my Google Calendar so I never forget. It’s boring but very useful!

Do A Phone & Computer Cleanse

Hi, I’m Rachel and I’m an app hoarder. I put all my apps into little folders to make it look like I don’t have so many and then I wonder why my storage is full. To cleanse your phone of all those things you don’t need, first take all the apps out of the folders so you can see them all. Then delete, delete, delete. Personally I found it hardest to get rid of games because I was worried about my scores being deleting. Having written that, I know can see how lame that sounds but I was a big, brave girl and deleted them anyway because 1. I either haven’t played them in months and they’re just taking up space or 2. I play them all the time and they eat away at my productivity.

Cleansing my computer was a little harder and to be honest I basically did a digital ‘put it all in one cupboard and don’t think about it again’. I put all my photos and documents that I don’t need at this moment in time on an external hard drive.

I promise to go through this hard drive at a later date but that day is not today!

Do A Social Media Cull & Do It Now!

Getting rid of people on social media can be really awkward but it needn’t be!

Facebook:

I went through and deleted a lot of people from Facebook. It was mostly people I just have nothing to do with anymore or people I don’t care about. But then I was left with people I do care about and people I don’t care about but it would look awful if I deleted them. So instead of unfriending I simply ticked the little box that stops me from seeing all their boring crap. Blissful ignorance is the way to go.

Twitter:

I am a big Twitter slaughterer. Following hundreds of accounts is A LOT so I frequently go through my Twitter followers to get it down to people I actually want to converse with (and celebs of course.)

Instagram:

Will anyone be upset if you unfollow them from Instagram? I highly doubt it. You can just pretend it was an accident if it every pops up in conversation. So get unfollowing and only keep the accounts you enjoy!

Inbox Zero

Yep, you’ve seen it a million times but this works! But do it your way!

Not so long ago my unread emails were at 10,000 on my hotmail account (I haven’t used it for about 3 years but this is still horrendous) and around 150 on my gmail. So I sorted through all my accounts and now I am a proud inbox zero girl. I do mine daily so I can stay on top of it but if weekly works better for you then go for that.

It’s really easy to get obsessed when you have various emails coming through all the time so pick a time that works for you, maybe first thing in the morning or after dinner to go through your inbox, delete unwanted emails and reply to the ones which need it!

Do you regularly digitally declutter your life? And do you have any tips? Let me know in the comments!

Rachel x-x-x

16 Comments

1. October 26, 2016 / 9:57 pm

Currently in the process of going from inbox 10,000 to inbox 0! It really does make a difference when you start to digitally declutter!

2. October 27, 2016 / 4:18 pm

I am such an app hoarder myself! I don’t have lots of storage on my phone either. I definitely have to make cleaning my phone of unwanted apps a weekly thing
    Dora

3. October 27, 2016 / 6:20 pm

???????? Applauding the magnificence of this post! Just what I needed to read today! I really need to have a Facebook cull because there’s so many negative Nancys and whingey Williams on there that just need to be deleted! I also MUST back up my files soon, so thank you for reminding me!!

Abbey ? http://www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

• rach
      October 30, 2016 / 6:58 pm

Haha those kind of people just seem to pile up on my Facebook!

4. October 30, 2016 / 8:10 pm

Oh god I want to clear my inbox so much but I’ve got so many thousands of emails!!! Some great tips here , thanks for sharing! X

5. October 30, 2016 / 8:12 pm

Oh I definitely need to declutter my emails! great post! X
    Melissa x
    lovemelissax.blogspot.co.uk

6. October 30, 2016 / 8:16 pm

I’m especially a fan of that whole inbox zero thing – I just can’t stand having a ton of unread mail, it drives me around the bend! So I’m constantly deleting or “putting into the right folder” everything that comes in :p

• rach
      October 30, 2016 / 10:29 pm

Haha yes I am a big fan of putting things in folders too! I never look at them again but I least I know they’re there 😛

7. Mia Middleditch
    October 30, 2016 / 8:18 pm

love this. I definitely need to clean up my laptop, but … it will take me ages to psyche myself up for THAT struggle xD

mia // https://okaaythen.com

• rach
      October 30, 2016 / 10:29 pm

I did mine over a whole weekend to make it a bit more unbearable but yes definitely a big job! haha

8. October 30, 2016 / 8:18 pm

Digitally decluttering always helps me feel as though I am more organized, and definitely reduces stress. These are great tips, thanks for sharing!

xx Alyssa

9. October 30, 2016 / 8:24 pm

Great tips! I definitely should backup my files and clean up my phone a bit more frequently. So many apps that I never use are just taking up space ?

10. Robyn
    October 30, 2016 / 8:45 pm

I need to do this! My phone is constantly running out of storage because I’m a hoarder! I also really need to start backing up my files- don’t think it’s been done since 2014 >.<
    Robyn// http://www.midnightandlace.co.uk/

11. October 30, 2016 / 9:57 pm

Oh the social media cull is a must. If i see anything that makes me eyeroll they have to go.
    And the email! I’m forever begging my friend to sort out her 10,000+ emails.

Emily-May xo