Anxiety Isn’t…

Anxiety Isn’t…

I’m not usually one for rant style posts but all too often I see people online and in real life declaring that things make them anxious. The Kardashians are absolutely notorious for stating that things give them ‘anxiety,’ so I wanted to clear a few things up.

Anxiety:

isn’t about being scared of everything.

I see time and time again people making comments asking why people with anxiety are ‘scared of everything.’ This really isn’t the case. Often people with anxiety are triggered by certain situations or thoughts, rather than an all consuming anxiety about everything.

isn’t worrying about upcoming deadlines, exams, or other situations which make everyone nervous.

Everyone gets nervous about these things. Of course, some people’s anxiety may be exacerbated by situations which make most people worry, but it’s totally normal to find deadlines stressful. It doesn’t mean that you have anxiety.

isn’t always a panic attack.

A common misconception I see is people saying ‘I’ve never seen you have a panic attack, do you actually have anxiety?’ First of all, panic attacks take wildly different forms. One person might hyperventilate during a panic attack whilst another may zone out completely and not be able to comprehend what is going on around them. More often than not a panic attack won’t be visible. The person may feel their heart beating faster and feel dizzy but if you are looking at them you might not be able to tell.

Secondly, not everyone who suffers with any kind of anxiety disorder has visible panic attacks.

isn’t an excuse to get out of things.

Believe me on this one, people don’t say they have anxiety to get out of doing things. More likely, they wish that they could do the thing you want them to.

isn’t something you can just snap out of.

Oh if only it was that easy, right? Anxiety often (but not always) stems from a combination of triggers from earlier life. This means that by now those anxieties become habit and you can’t just flick a switch to stop being anxious. So the best thing to do if someone tell you they’re anxious? Don’t tell them to snap out of it!

isn’t something you necessarily need medication for.

Anxiety can be treated and managed in a variety of ways lisinopril dosage. Medication is an option but often talking therapies such as CBT, DBT, Psychodynamic therapies and humanistic therapies are equally as useful.

doesn’t look the same in everyone.

When I’m anxious, you probably wouldn’t know. I’m pretty quiet anyway, that’s just my nature. And when other people are anxious it can be really obvious. But don’t assume that because you can’t see it that it’s not happening.

However, anxiety is:

• common.

• manageable.

• treatable.

Remember that it’s not normal to feel anxious all of the time or for anxiety to be causing significant disturbance to your daily life, so if you’re reading this and thinking ‘That’s me!’ then there’s no need to suffer in silence with anxiety. Go see your GP, self refer to a service or just talk to a friend. My email inbox is always open for any questions!

Rachel x-x-x

8 Comments

1. January 26, 2017 / 9:17 am

it’s a fine line, so thank you for your insight. it’s getting harder to take signs seriously when everybody’s screaming “wolf”, you know what I mean? have a great day!

2. January 26, 2017 / 6:45 pm

Thank you so much for writing this! There are so many misconceptions about anxiety these days, and, as someone with anxiety, I find it hard to explain what it is and isn’t to people when they ask (or judge).

• rach
      January 27, 2017 / 8:51 pm

Thanks for the lovely comment. It’s definitely difficult to get across exactly what anxiety is when there are so many myths about it!

3. Faisal
    January 29, 2017 / 6:29 pm

Great post Rachel and some great advice at the end. Hope you are well and had a lovely weekend!

4. January 30, 2017 / 2:17 am

I hate when people think anxiety is an excuse to get out of something. There were so many opportunities I had to pass up because of my anxiety. I also find my anxiety makes it incredibly difficult to make and keep friendships. Thanks for this post!

5. February 1, 2017 / 2:15 am

When I was younger I didn’t know that I had anxiety, I thought that the way I felt was normal for a teenager and would pass as I got older. Then I got older and thought that since I’ve lived with it for so long I could manage it a bit longer. And so I lived with it for years and years until I just couldn’t anymore. Now my life is a mess and I’m sad and anxious all the time. I take strong anti-anxiety meds just to get to the therapist.
    I know I can get better, but it would have been so much easier if I would have got this help years ago.

Thanks for writing. We will fight the stigma.

• rach
      February 1, 2017 / 8:23 pm

I can totally relate to your comment. I thought everybody felt that way too until I realised other people went out and did things and I couldn’t. I hope working through things with meds and a therapist helps you!

6. July 9, 2017 / 9:07 am

I’ve suffered anxiety a lot. For me it was usually a prelude and a big warning sign that I really wasn’t ok at that point in my life.
    A few months back I deleted the thing that was causing a lot of anxiety. A tired old job that wasn’t going to allow me to grow into my potential in any way.
    After doing this, I feel so much better. Turns out this working place has been a big recipe for creating so much stress and even two burn outs. I am relieved. Sometimes I still suffer minor anxiety about things but it isn’t as bad anymore.
    When I do suffer a panic attack or anxiety attack it really helps to call a friend and talk to her. I’ve also learned how to be more compassionate with myself in these moments.
    Thanks for bringing it into a post. Good read 🙂