Irrational Things That Terrify Me…

Irrational Things That Terrify Me…

Today I’m talking about things that scare me. I don’t mean rational things, I mean the weird things that have scared me since childhood that have never gone away. My Mum has always said that I have an overactive imagination, like when I’m checking under the bed in hotel rooms, just in case a murderer is hiding there ready to pounce. (I have no idea what I’d do if this was the case, but it’s good to check anyway.

Most of my fears come from me catching glimpsing of horror films as a child or being made to watch them at sleepovers and being terrified ever since. So I wanted to share them with you so you can either laugh at my expense or nod along and tell me all your strange and irrational fears at the end.

Baths

This is a weird one, because I sure do love a bath. However, there’s something about baths that I’m not familiar with that gives me a weird feeling. This fear was sparked not so many years ago from a Christmas special of Jonathan Creek (it’s the one with Sheridan Smith if anyone fancies watching). Basically the bath in this episode, has a panel on the bottom that goes straight through the floor, killing anyone who gets in the bath, fabulous, right?

Shower Curtains

Keeping with the bathroom theme, I am terrified of closed shower curtains. Why is there any need to close them? They’re the perfect place to hide and jump out at someone to murder them? It’s not okay!

The Back Seat of the Car

This one is purely my overactive imagination at its worst. It can’t just be me that checks the back seat of the car when you climb in at night, can it? I am truly panicked that someone will be lying in wait for me, just like something straight out of Scream.

Being Blinded by a Burning Candlestick

Okay, this one is very, very specific but it dates back to very early childhood. I think I was around 6 or 7 when I was playing at a friend’s house while her parents watched a horror film in the other room. We were both getting hungry so we went in to ask her Mum for some snacks and there on the screen is a man putting a burning hot candle into another man’s eye. I still have no idea what film this was but the image has stayed with me for almost twenty years.

Dolls

Isn’t everyone scared of those china dolls? If you’re not, then I think you’re in the minority. I’ve been terrified of dolls since a similar age to the candlestick incident. Having gone to one of those soft play areas and thinking that we were too grown up to be playing on the slides and in the ballpit, we sat around telling scary stories. Someone brought up the horrific china doll story. You know the one, where the girl’s doll says it’s going to kill her family so she puts it outside and she can hear it coming up the stairs. (Spoiler alert: it kills her family). That story ruined my life and I will never be allowing my children to possess a china doll.

Mirrors

I don’t think I’ve ever spoken to anyone about my fear of mirrors so I’m not sure how many other people will agree with me on this. I also don’t know where this fear came from because I don’t remember having ever seen a horror film with mirrors in it. However, I am deathly scared that a ghoulish looking person is going to climb out of a mirror and kill me. Please tell me that someone else understands this!

Having now told you about the weird things that keep me up at night, please let what know what irrational things you’re scared of and what sparked these fears? We can be terrified humans together!

Rachel x-x-x

9 Comments

1. August 12, 2017 / 6:50 pm

I’ve had this fear of gaps in the curtains for as long as I can remember and I don’t actually know where it came from! I think it’s maybe something out of The Witches where one of them is hovering at someone’s window but I’m not sure if that’s a scene? Anyway yeah, I can’t have a gap in my curtains. I also have a weird thing about the position I sleep in – I need to be facing both the window and the door (I guess because then if someone comes to murder me I can see them coming and it gives me the slightest chance of being able to get up and run away?)
    Amy xx

2. August 13, 2017 / 10:59 am

I always have to check the wardrobes of hotel rooms in case there’s a body in there… Again, not sure what I’d do if there was! I’d also add 90% of animals to the list!

Liz x
    Distract Me Now Please

3. August 13, 2017 / 10:14 pm

A closed shower curtain gets me every time! And I’m convinced if I don’t have the curtains closed at night someone will come to the window. The one that gets me most though is the back seat of the car. We have two big gates to let us into our driveway so we leave the car on the road, leave the door open, open the gate and get back in to drive onto the driveway. Only at night do I suddenly get crippingly scared someone’s got in the back of the car in the dark and I’m like stiff with fear like I can’t even turn round to check…. it’s not just you pal!

4. August 14, 2017 / 10:06 am

I get the mirrors thing! I HATE washing my face at night because I always think some monster is going to be stood behind me when I look in the mirror!

I get really really freaked out if I’m walking anywhere and someone happens to be walking behind me – I always worry that they’ll jump me or kidnap me, even in broad daylight!

• August 14, 2017 / 10:08 am

Also forgot 2 others – looking out the window at night (always scared some psycho serial killer is in my garden – my curtains are closed WAY before nightfall) and a wardrobe/closet being partially open! SHUT THE DOORS COMPLETELY! What if a demon is peeking at me through that gap? They could get out and eat me unless I shut the door!

5. August 14, 2017 / 12:37 pm

I totally agree with the shower curtain and the back seat of a car, I’m irrationally scared of those too haha! I loved this post 🙂 xx

6. Fab
    August 14, 2017 / 10:08 pm

Maybe the shower curtain fear comes from watching Psycho, Hitchcock Film? everybody has seen this film, if you haven’t seen it then maybe you saw the scary poster of the blond short hair woman screaming! 🙂

7. August 16, 2017 / 4:01 pm

Thank goodness i’m not the only one who has that with baths!! I thought it was just me 😛 It’s bizarre, as i used to be terrified of showers – i wore an insulin pump, so i was worried the pressure from the shower would make it come out. Now, i just can’t tolerate baths, it scares me and i have no idea why 😛 Good to know i’m not alone!

Bumble and Be

8. October 6, 2017 / 7:34 pm

Ahh all that unsuitable tv watching as a child! The witches scared the hell out of me when I was 4 & I saw it at my cousins place- I was terrified of everyone who wore sunglasses for years in case they were hiding purple eyes!
    Being Cremated and not being dead – I walked in on my parents watching some murder mystery thing when I was small and a man was being loaded into the cremation chamber thing in a coffin screaming to get out.
    Coffins generally- I associate that one with My Girl of all movies, yet bees don’t bother me – go figure!

Oh & rule #32 in zombie land, always check the back seat!!!