Why I Keep My Blog A Secret

Why I Keep My Blog A Secret

Often when I’m scrolling Facebook, I’ll notice that one of my blogging friends has shared one of their own blog posts. I think this is incredible. For the most part, my blog is a secret. It’s not like i’m living some clandestine life where I don’t want anyone to know that I write, it’s more that I’m just not ready for people to see what I really think about.

The biggest reason for keeping my blog quiet is that people will think I’m lying to them. In real life, I’m quiet, I’m not overly opinionated (apart from with those closest to me) and I don’t really acknowledge the topics that take up so much of my alone time. When I’m alone I love nothing more than picking up some philosophical reading or getting deep into my own head about the future of humanity, but I would never share these thoughts in real-life friends. So, I think I’m worried that if people find my blog, they’ll wonder why I don’t bring these things up in conversation, why I’m always so quiet. The truth is, I just prefer to write it out. But I ‘m worried friends will think I’m a different person in

A second reason isn’t so much that I don’t want people to read my blog, but that I don’t want them to even know I write one. Blogging comes with a certain kind of stigma. Responses vary from “So you just write about yourself?” to “Everyone’s a blogger these days.”  I mean, yeah, I do pretty much just write about myself but better here than sharing every aspect of my life in lengthy Facebook statuses so that people can reply with the crying face emoji, right?

Finally, I just don’t want past-life people reading about my current life. This probably sounds hypocritical considering that I’m putting all of my life on the internet with the purpose of others reading it so I shouldn’t really be too choosy in who I want to allow to see it. But if I care enough about you then I’d tell you that I write a blog. I’d be unlikely to reveal the URL but if you find it then kudos to you. So when I see people I knew from school watching every one of my Insta stories but never actually following my profile, I can’t help but feel a bit weird. There’s likely a reason we don’t talk anymore so why does my blog even interest you?

I hope that one day I’ll be the one clicking share to Facebook, but for now I’m content in my own blogging bubble.

Rachel x-x-x

6 Comments

1. August 13, 2017 / 9:28 am

Omg I totally get this. I don’t share my posts on FB either because I think that people from my past will be clicking through and silently judging me! Some of my friends didn’t even realise I had a blog until I accidentally brought it up in conversation and they were like why do you never share the posts on FB so we can read them?! I’m getting better with just not giving a toss about what people think but I haven’t quite got brave enough to share on FB yet haha.

Great post, glad someone else feels the same way about this!

– Kaity

2. Erin
    August 13, 2017 / 4:10 pm

Totally agree, I was so scared of people finding out about my blog for so so long, like 18 months – it was my dirty secret. I was so worried people would assume I was writing dear diary type content about them, or just embarrassing content, not that it ever was. I just hated the stigma. I decided to “out” myself as a blogger about a year ago now. I decided when I hit a 10K reach it wasn’t a dear diary moment, it was an actual hobby that people read – so anything anyone had to say was void, it wasn’t embarrassing, it was cool, and I had put so much effort into it to get it looking good. I think everyone has their time when they out themselves as a blogger, im sure you will get to yours at somepoint 🙂

Erin || MakeErinOver

3. August 13, 2017 / 5:44 pm

So true! I don’t share my blog with anyone besides my sisters either, i like kind of having this ‘secret’ world of my own, its more comfortable and easier to share our opinions this way!
    xox

4. August 13, 2017 / 11:49 pm

Can totally relate to this. I kept my blog solidly private where no one knew about it (except family and two close friends) for about 2 years. Unfortunately, I created an instagram and even though I didn’t follow anyone I knew – or even myself for that matter – it came up on a few friends “suggested follow”. I have absolutely no clue how it would have appeared as it was completely separate from my personal instagram even using a completely new email address. My friend messaged me saying “OMG I DIDN’T KNOW YOU HAD A BLOG!” and my stomach dropped, I was soo upset it had been found out. I instantly deleted my account after that but I can’t be completely sure no one else had seen it.
    Now I just go with the assumption that no one actually reads it or checks on it anymore. It’s horrible though as I can’t be as candid as I used to be as I don’t want to share personal details with friends. Would really not recommend making an instagram in case it happens to you too.
    Great blog post though, really related.

Holly x | http://www.thechroniclesofholly.com/

5. Anna
    August 29, 2017 / 5:51 pm

I relate so much to this. I’ve never told my family I have a blog but my brother and sister found out somehow and I felt so bad? Like I don’t want them reading about what I have to say and what I think which seems weird because they are my siblings but yeah. Also, none of my in real life friends know I have a blog either and sometimes it sucks for the exact same reasons you talked about but I just can’t bring myself to tell them. And what you said about past-life people reading your blog, same here. I’m terrified that some people from my old schools may find my blog and read it. I was a very shy and awkward kid (still am) and kept everything to myself, never shared much so them finding my blog would be quite scary for me. I don’t have facebook anymore and none of them have my instagram or twitter so I’m not too sure how they’d find me but I’m still terrified lol
    Anyway, thank you for writing this post, it’s made me feel a little bit less alone.
    Anna x | http://www.dropsofanna.blogspot.com

6. November 28, 2017 / 1:29 am

Wow, I am the same way. I don’t broadcast my blog anymore. I used to try to gain views by posting to Facebook, Twitter, Insta, and Pinterest. Now I do it for myself and it’s much more fulfilling.
    In a good way, not everyone actually blogs nowadays. I don’t know a single person in real life who blogs actively. A lot of people don’t want to put forth the effort of having a community, running a blog, or writing regularly. Sure, there are probably thousands of blogs but I don’t read those 1,000. I read the few that speak to me. Finding a blog you like is like finding a friend you like… there’s 7 billion people on the planet but we’re not friends with all of them. Every blogger has something unique to offer, I realized. I’m glad you write! Thanks for sharing. Sorry for my mind-rambles.