What To Do When You’re Overwhelmed

What To Do When You’re Overwhelmed

Overwhelmed is a common feeling for me. Over the years I’ve got better at dealing with it, my head only feels 80% full most of the time now, rather than as though it is spilling its contents out over the top. I could tell you that meditation will help or to talk to some friends about how you’re feeling but instead I’m going to tell you what I do when I’m feeling overwhelmed.

Have a Hot Bath

You’re probably thinking that I didn’t need to add the word hot into that, but you’re wrong because when I say a hot bath, I mean a hot bath. I mean so hot that it’s probably not okay for your body but I do it anyway because when I lower myself into that water, all I’m thinking about is how amazing it feels to be engulfed by some hot hot heat. The bath is my safe place. It’s where I go when I’m sad, stressed, overwhelmed, need to think, need to not think or when I’m happy, a nice bath is a celebration, it’s a treat on a Monday night, or Tuesday, Wednesday, you follow? I love a bath and it always helps.

Curl up in a ball on the sofa

I’m not a fan of wallowing but sometimes it’s just necessary. Wallowing in bed is the ultimate no-no for me when life is overwhelming. Bed is warm and safe and it somehow traps you inside so you can’t get our for hours and then when you do, it’s usually time for bed again so you just lie awake reflecting on life and its complexities. I prefer a sofa wallow. Put your pjs on, grab a blanket, a cup of tea and curl up in a tight little ball on the sofa (preferably having put the cup of tea down already) and allow yourself to feel. I promise that it’s much easier to get up off the sofa when you’re feeling sad than from bed.

Write

Writing has become my go to. I publish a lot of my inner thoughts on here but I also write my thoughts down in journals, in word documents or sometimes in drafts on here, knowing that I’ll never publish them but that they’re as reminders that I got through something difficult. I take great solace in writing because you can’t regret what you’ve written. It’s not like telling a friend and then wishing you hadn’t, it’s simply for you and that feels amazing when what you really want to do is blurt a load of your brain out into the world.

Put a pizza in the oven

I don’t think this one needs explaining. It’s a fact that feeling overwhelmed can be cured by a pizza.

Put some music on really loud

Sometimes thoughts get too loud. My brain often tells me that I’m doing things wrong or that I’m not working hard enough, even though I’m trying my best. Self-doubt is one of the main offenders when it comes to feeling overwhelmed, so to combat it I put on some music in my headphones and turn it up loud. Self-doubt doesn’t have a place when Katy Perry is screaming Firework in your ears.

Organise

Once you feel like you’ve wallowed suitably, it’s time to organise. Organising makes me feel like I’m top of things and gets me ready to actually be on top of things. If I feel overwhelmed, it’s usually because I haven’t been making good use of my bullet journal or updating my Google Calendar, so whilst I’ll have a vague idea what’s going on and when, I’m not 100%, so things tend to feel a little wobbly. A bit of life admin always helps, so get going as soon as you can with this, although don’t rush yourself. You can wallow for as long as you need.

Rachel x-x-x

9 Comments

1. September 25, 2017 / 7:11 am

Fabulous post darling and I could totally resonate! You’ve hit the nail on the head and this post will be of great help to many people out there! Well done, sweetie!

Charlene McElhinney
    (@blogabtnothing1)

• rach
      September 25, 2017 / 9:30 am

Thanks lovely!

2. September 25, 2017 / 9:58 am

These are all great suggestions! A hot bath definitely helps me relax, so does music and organizing. I agree, sometimes it’s okay to wallow for a bit. I also like to do some cooking/baking or cleaning to take my mind off things for a while. xx
    Coco Bella Blog

3. September 25, 2017 / 4:19 pm

So true about bed vs. sofa! I try and save bed for sleep. If I’m retreating to bed during the day it’s a sign the things really aren’t great! x

4. September 25, 2017 / 7:42 pm

This was such a great read Rachel – I think the point about allowing ourselves to feel and wallow is so important because at times, trying hard to suppress a particular feeling just makes it worse.. Feeling overwhelmed is a common problem for me and I too find that writing really really helps, regardless of whether I share it or just keep it to myself. Hope you have an incredible week!

maria | http://whatismaria.com

5. September 25, 2017 / 7:42 pm

This was such a great read Rachel – I think the point about allowing ourselves to feel and wallow is so important because at times, trying hard to suppress a particular feeling just makes it worse.. Feeling overwhelmed is a common problem for me and I too find that writing really really helps, regardless of whether I share it or just keep it to myself. Hope you have an incredible week x

maria | http://whatismaria.com

6. September 25, 2017 / 8:18 pm

I absolutely loved this. It totally resonated with me- I often feel like there’s just too much in my head and I can’t think clearly enough about anything to actually be productive. I’m totally on board with the pizza in the oven and hot baths too!
    Lisa x

7. September 26, 2017 / 11:50 pm

Rachel — I just found your blog, and I’m glad I did! This is a great post, and you’re totally right that sometimes you just need to ride out the feelings until you can think properly again.

There’s been a few times this week alone where I’ve curled on the couch and had to force others to make decisions for me because I was too overwhelmed to think.

Though I’ve never found baths (or showers) relaxing, I have rediscovered the power of tea and the wonderful fall medleys I’ve picked up are great at calming me down some days!

8. October 15, 2017 / 2:03 pm

Wonderful post lovely. I’ve been feeling really overwhelmed lately, I’ll definitely be doing some of these. Hot baths are my happy place too, either with a book, or I close my eyes and put on some good music to relax myself!
    Hels 🌸